TheFrugalNoodle is is my personal blog focusing on do-it-yourself, saving money, travel, tech, and living simply.
sparing or economical with regard to money or food.
slang for head or brain.
“to use (one’s) noodle”: To use one’s own intelligence and intellectual ability; to think logically and rationally
Any time I discover a money-saving trick or cool how-to tip, I add it to this site.
After working for over twenty years as a cubicle-dweller, I decided to quit the corporate world and go it alone as a freelance contractor. I wanted to set my own hours, improve my quality of life, and determine my own fate.
When I was first starting out, I had to cut costs. Here are some things I did to save (or make) money:
- I canceled cable TV (saving $720/year)
- I changed my cell phone plan to a cheaper one (will save $360/year because I switched to T-Mobile from Verizon)
- I downsized and sold some of my stuff on Craigslist (made about $1700)
- I try to ride my bike instead of driving if the distance is less than three miles
- I took on a roommate
- I only eat out on special occasions (saving hundreds per year)
- I enjoy free entertainment options like free outdoor concerts, hiking, and biking.
- I actually look at prices at the supermarket and buy the cheapest brands (I found they are pretty much the same).
- I re-financed my condo loan with my parents, saving me thousands of dollars and giving them a better return than any bank!
- I stopped buying so many clothes every month and just wore what was in my closet. It turned out that I didn’t even know what I had in there. I had clothes in there that I had never even worn before.
Yes, some of these things can be inconvenient, or a sacrifice. But, I wouldn’t go back for the world! I much prefer having more time rather than money with no time to spend it! I’m enjoying life more. I actually find it fun to do things myself and figure out tricks to save money!
For more ideas on saving money, check out this list of New Years resolutions that can save you thousands of dollars!
p.s., here are some of my other sites, if you are interested:
disablemycable.com – How to get hi-def TV without paying for cable! You’ll like this one!
swingdance.la – Swing dance events in Los Angeles and Orange County.
ladateideas.com – Fun things to do in Los Angeles and Orange County.
brianshim.com/webtricks – Tips and tricks for folks who make websites, from very basic to advanced.
Please leave me a comment – I respond to all of them!