I recently fired up my old Alesis QS6.2 synth after a long hiatus, only to discover the user bank was hosed. Not only did I want those sounds to play with, but they have special significance to me, since I worked on them while I was an engineer at Alesis!
Opening up the unit, I found out sure enough that the battery was dead. It was pretty easy to find a source online, so I ordered a replacement.
Replacing the Battery
Doing battery swap requires de-soldering the existing battery from the PC board, which is not trivial. Ideally, you’d have a good soldering gun and a “solder-sucker” or a good solder wick. I had neither but I got it off, albeit sloppily.
Then, I had to solder the new battery on. Again, if you have a solder-sucker or wick, you can clear the holes of solder and simply drop the battery in. If you don’t, it’s more difficult.
If you’ve never done anything like this before, I recommend taking your unit in to an authorized repair center get the battery professionally replaced.
Finding the QS User Bank
I figured it would then be easy to find the QS6.2 User Bank sysex file online.
But to my surprise, the Alesis website didn’t have it. Apparently, it underwent a major overhaul and this old file didn’t make it through the migration. UPDATE #1: I found a page for legacy Alesis products here! You can find the downloads for almost all old Alesis products there. UPDATE #2: the Alesis download links seem to be broken after you try to enter your email address. Sorry! Try emailing Alesis customer support to complain.
Searching through my old computer files, I found it on my computer from when I worked on it!
Here it Is!!
So, as a public service to all of you QS6/6.1/6.2 fans out there, here is the original factory QS6.2 User Bank sysex file.
To load this into your QS synth, you’ll need a MIDI interface for your computer and some MIDI software. On Windows, I use Cakewalk or MIDI-OX (free). Enjoy!!
Leave me a comment below if you have a QS synth! – Brian
p.s., this is the NAMM show display where we introduced the QS6.2 synth back in 2002. I was the engineer in charge of the update from the QS6.1 to QS6.2. I upgraded the D/A converters, improved the analog PCB layout to eliminate hum in the outputs, improved the button layout ergonomics, and updated the colors (from black to silver). Oh, and I re-programmed the user bank!